Friday, January 18, 2019

The Most Amazing Three Cheese Pinwheels

For the Super Bowl, I thought I'd make a ton of mini appetizers with the huge bundle of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls that I had hoarded in the fridge from months ago.

I figured these would be similar to the Thanksgiving appetizers I made, but I definitely didn't want to make another sausage quiche or another bacon pinwheel. I couldn't think of anything interestingly different than quiches or pinwheels, so I figured I'd just switch it up a bit. Why not use my ultimate favorite ingredient as a replacement for the bacon in the pinwheels- cheese!

I got the idea from Pillsbury.com for the three cheese pinwheels. I varied it of course to suit my own needs. I used Pepper Jack cheese, Mozzarella cheese (instead of blue cheese- I know they're not similar, I was just going for something different), and cream cheese (as a binder for all the cheesiness). I also had one can of crescent rounds left, which would be perfect for the slicing of the pinwheels.


Ingredients:


  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
  • 1 can Pillsbury crescent rounds
  • 1 tablespoon chopped basil
  • 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoon cooked onion
  • 1 garlic clove


Instructions:


  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. In small bowl, mix all cheeses and mayonnaise until well blended and soft. Add basil, onion, and garlic.
  3. Roll dough into long rectangle. Spread cheese mixture evenly over dough.
  4. Starting at shorter side, roll up into a cylinder. Set in fridge until ready to bake.
  5. When firm, cut into 16 slices. Place, cut side down, on cookie sheet.
  6. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.